Professional Standards for BC Educators:

1. Educators value the success of all students. Educators care for students and act in their best interests.
  2. Educators act ethically and maintain the integrity, credibility and reputation of the profession.
  3. Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.
  4. Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools.
  5. Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.
  6. Educators engage in professional learning.
  7. Educators contribute to the profession.
  8. Educators respect and value the history of First Nations, Inuit and Métis in Canada and the impact of the past on the present and the future. Educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing. Educators foster a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being, histories, and cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Métis.

Professional Standards for BC Educators applies to all individuals holding a certificate of qualification to teach K-12 in BC schools, including teacher candidates enrolled in a teacher education program (that’s me!).  These professional standards are important to understand and apply because we are working with children and youth and can have deep impacts on their lives.  It is important to me that educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing of Indigenous peoples in Canada, and even the world, because this is the only way we can move forward as a society and create a more balanced, nurturing, and caring world.  Another standard I care personally about is the involvement of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools.  As a parent and an educator, I want to create a welcoming classroom environment where all students feel comfortable, safe, and interested in learning.  I want to connect with parents and families to better teach and serve their children.  They say it takes a village to raise a child, and I hope to be apart of that village in a positive and meaningful way.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/education/kindergarten-to-grade-12/teach/teacher-regulation/standards-for-educators/edu_standards.pdf